Short-term rental accommodation requirements in NSW
The NSW Government has implemented a new statewide regulatory framework for short-term rental accommodation (STRA) which includes new fire safety standards for STRA dwellings and a new Government-run STRA Register. These new planning rules take effect from 1 November 2021.
What is STRA?
Short-term Rental Accommodation (STRA) refers to a dwelling used by the ‘host’ to provide accommodation in the dwelling on a commercial basis for a temporary or short-term period. STRA is often facilitated through online booking platforms such as Stayz, Airbnb and Booking.com.
What do I need to do?
- Installation of either main powered smoke alarms or long life, sealed battery powered smoke alarms in:
- Dwelling floor levels containing bedrooms, every corridor or hallway associated with a bedroom, or if there is no corridor or hallway, in an area between the bedrooms and the remainder of the building; and
- Each other storey not containing bedrooms.
- Smoke alarms must comply with AS3786
- Smoke alarms must be interconnected where there is more than one alarm
- Making an Evacuation Plan, displaying ‘evacuation signage’ and familiarizing guests with exit system, including the national emergency services number (000) and advise guests to download the emergency+ app
Dwellings in multi-unit buildings only (Dwellings in Class 2 and Class 4 buildings):
- Entry doors should be openable from inside the dwelling without a key
- Installation of a fire extinguisher and fire blanket in the kitchen
Standalone dwellings only (Class 1a buildings)
- Installation of heat alarms in garages located beneath dwellings located above. This would be required only where the garage is not accessible to the guest/s
How can Workplace Emergency Management help you?
We can provide you with evacuation diagrams and procedures, and ensure you have the right smoke alarm, extinguisher, and fire blanket for your property.
Evacuation diagrams must be affixed in the following positions:
- Within the dwelling on or adjacent to the entrance door to the dwelling; and
- Within each bedroom on or adjacent to the door to the room
We will ensure that your STRA Fire Safety Standards kept and maintained.